Coconut Shrimp with Mango Sauce
Coconut Shrimp is crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside, this main dish pairs well with the tart mango sauce.
- 2 medium mangoes, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme honey
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp. Fresh Thyme organic curry powder
- Fresh Thyme canola oil or peanut oil for deep‑fat frying
- 24 uncooked jumbo shrimp in shells; thawed if frozen
- 3 Fresh Thyme large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 11/3 cups Fresh Thyme organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme cornstarch
- 2 tsp. Fresh Thyme organic cane sugar
- ½ tsp. Fresh Thyme fine sea salt
- Crushed red pepper, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for serving
- For sauce, place mango fruit in a blender. Add lime juice, honey, ginger, and curry powder. Cover and blend until smooth; set aside.
- In a heavy 3-qt. saucepan or deep-fat fryer, heat 2 to 3 inches of oil to 325°F over medium heat.
- Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small shallow dish, place egg whites. In a second shallow dish, combine coconut, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Dip each shrimp into egg whites, then coat with coconut mixture.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully add shrimp in batches to hot oil. Fry 2 minutes or until shrimp are opaque and coconut is golden. Use a spoon to transfer shrimp to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper. Serve shrimp with mango sauce and lime wedges.
Recipe from: Coconut Shrimp with Mango Sauce | Fresh Thyme