FOR THE SALAD:
- One butternut squash peeled, seeded, and diced
- ½ tablespoon oil of choice
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup quinoa or rice
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- Two small apples, pears, or figs sliced or dice
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup pecans roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp nuts or seeds
For the apple cider vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegarette
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1.5 tsp Dijon mustard
- One garlic clove minced
1. ROAST THE BUTTERNUT
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).On a baking sheet, toss together the butternut squash, olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 16 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking until the squash is tender.Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
2. COOK THE QUINOA
3. MAKE THE DRESSING
Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl (or shake together in a mason jar) until combined.
4. MASSAGE THE KALE
Place the kale in a large bowl and pour half of the vinaigrette over the top. Use your hands to gently massage the dressing into the kale for about 30 seconds until it starts to soften.
5. ASSEMBLE THE SALAD
Add the quinoa, roasted butternut, and apples into the bowl with the kale and toss to combine. Divide the salad between 3 plates, then top with the chopped pecans, toasted pumpkin seeds, dried cranberries, and crumbled feta cheese. Drizzle the remaining vinaigrette over the top, and serve.
Recipe From:Healthy Fall Salad – aftannFIT