Italian Sausage and Orzo Soup
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven, this delicious soup is hearty, healthy, delicious and incredibly easy to put together!
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 15.5 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 32 fluid ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- Fine sea salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
- 2 large handfuls of fresh baby spinach or kale
- Optional toppings: freshly-grated Parmesan, chopped fresh basil and/or parsley
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil. Add garlic and onions and stir to combine. Sautee for 5-6 minutes or until the onions are softened and translucent.
- Add the sausage. Sautee the sausage until browned and cooked through.
- Add the Italian seasoning, broth, diced tomatoes, and rinsed beans and simmer on low heat for a half hour.
- Add orzo and spinach and simmer for another 10 minutes or until orzo is tender.
- Serve immediately, garnished with your favorite toppings.
Recipe has been adapted from Gimme Some Oven.