Rustic Heirloom Tomato Caprese Tart
Showcase juicy, ripe heirloom tomatoes in this easy tart made with a puff pastry crust. Fresh mozzarella, basil, and balsamic glaze complement the classic summer flavors.
- 1/2 (17.3 oz.) box frozen puff pastry, thawed (1 sheet)
- 1 Fresh Thyme large egg
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. basil-infused olive oil (recipe below)
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Fresh Thyme fine sea salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Balsamic glaze, optional
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400ºF*. Unfold pastry and place on piece of parchment paper. Roll pastry into a 10×12-inch rectangle. Transfer pastry on parchment to a baking sheet. Using a pizza wheel or sharp knife, score a 1/2-inch border along pastry edge. Generously prick the pastry inside the border with a fork.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and water. Brush pastry with egg mixture.
- Bake pastry for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven. Brush with 2 Tbsp. basil-infused olive oil. Add a layer of mozzarella cheese slices and fresh tomato slices. Return to oven and bake 5 minutes more or until the crust is golden brown.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper, to taste. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, if desired. Top with fresh basil leaves.
- Basil-Infused Olive Oil: In a blender, combine 1 cup fresh basil leaves, 1/2 tsp. minced garlic, and 1/2 cup Fresh Thyme extra virgin olive oil. Blend until smooth. Cover and refrigerate any leftover oil for up to one week. Makes 1/2 cup.
- * Grill It: Prepare charcoal or gas grill for indirect high heat cooking (400ºF). Roll pastry into a 10×12-inch rectangle on two layers of heavy duty foil. Continue with steps 1 and 2. Cook on grill, covered, for recommended baking times, following steps 3 and 4.
Recipe from: Rustic Heirloom Tomato Caprese Tart | Fresh Thyme